[Kroupware] public folders (was: Re: Kroupware replacing Exchange)

Tassilo Erlewein kroupware@mail.kde.org
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 12:03:37 +0100

On Wednesday 05 February 2003 10:39, Henning Holtschneider wrote:

> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK the bottom of the problem is
> this: the IMAP protocol specifies "public folders" as folders of a given
> user which are visible to others - nothing more.

no this is not correct :

you can simply create an IMAP shared folder like an mailbox account in
cyrus and grant specific access permission to individual users, groups or to
_anybody_. The term "anybody" in the cyrus speak refers to all authenticated
users.

Cyrus imapd manages all access permission on basis of ACL's.
That's one of the main reasons why we chose it for Kolab.
FYI, the access rights include: read, write, insert, append, post, delete,
administer, etc.

We have also Webdav(s) Folders in our technical inventory, just when
we run out of cyrus features, you know ;-).
I don't know though whether you can attach that to your Outlook folderview.
Does some Outlook geek want to try it out (?)