[Kroupware] Kroupware replacing Exchange

Bo Thorsen kroupware@mail.kde.org
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 09:31:23 +0100

On Wednesday 05 February 2003 09:04, Andre Pietsch wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a few questions about the target of this project.
>
> Does Kroupware aim to be a replacement for companies currently using
> the Exchange-Outlook combination for

Well, it at least solves some of the same problems. But there will be=20
things that Exchange/Outlook can do that Kolab/KMKO can't, and reverse.

> 1. internal and external eMail,
> 2. organizing meetings,
> 3. personal calendar,
> 4. contact and address management (public contact folders),
> 5. task management (managing private tasks and assigning tasks to
> others),

These five are all working, though task management isn't possible between=20
KMail and Outlook. It looks like the Bynari plugin destroys the task=20
scheduling in Outlook 2000.

> 6. creating public folders storing calendar data, tasks,
> contact information and emails?

I don't know what you mean by public folders. Do you mean uploading all=20
your data to some public place? If so, that won't be done. We have=20
implemented uploading a free busy list, so people can see when you are=20
free for meetings, but we won't make it possible to upload your entire=20
calendar anywhere.

> What features will not be implemented?

See the documents on www.kroupware.org for a full list. Off the top of my=20
head, the most important features are the five you mentioned plus notes,=20
automatic resource management, MDN and vacation setup/mails. There are=20
probably more.

> Which one of those planned for implementation will make it into the
> 1.0?

All of them.

> Is the stable 1.0 scheduled for a release before Q3/2003?

It's scheduled for release no later than in two weeks.

> Well, I guess this is a bit more than just a few questions but a
> request to add this to the FAQ ;)
>
> P.S: Re-reading the FAQ I must ask not to just answer these questions
> by referring to the concept.

Hehe, I only did it once :-)

> I would like to know if it is a
> "philosophical" target to build a OSS-replacement for Exchange.

This is a contracted development where our client wanted a groupware=20
solution that have the above features. That others can enjoy it too is=20
just a benefit from the free software.

So no, it's not a target to build a replacement for Exchange or Outlook.=20
But we are building something that solves the same kind of problems. This=20
isn't just wordplaying, but a difference that's quite important. This is=20
a clear contract between the three bid-winners and our client who=20
obviously did not want to continue running Exchange.

Bo.

=2D-=20

     Klar=E4lvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark