[Kroupware] IDEA: Kontacts has a field to specify where to download their Free/Busy

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Dec 23 14:45:07 CET 2003

On Tuesday 23 December 2003 13:34, Jon Bendtsen wrote:
> tirsdag 23. dec 2003 kl. 12:31 skrev Bernhard Reiter:
> > On Sunday 21 December 2003 11:19, Jon Bendtsen wrote:
> >> As it is now, korganiser looks for the Free/Busy information at the
> >> kolab server.
> >
> > Yes. Only one (configurable) server will be consulted
>
> Which is fine for all the local users, but not the remote kontakts

True. I was just describing the current situation.

> >> This means that someone, usualy the administrator, has
> >> to download the Free/Busy lists for kontacts to the kolab server
> >> before the user klients kan use them.
> >
> > The Free/busy lists are published by each single client.
> > They push it to the server.
>
> yes, if they use the same server as me, i'm talking about remote
> kontakts.

I will still be fine with remote contacts,
that each client pushes its free/busy information to one server.
A remote person than must find out where to get this freebusy list.
Thus it needs to be an entry in the Kolab Server LDAP addressbook.
Subsequently KOrganizer will also have such an attribute.

> >> Why not add a field to the individual kontakts in the kaddressbook,
> >> and then let the korganisor look up the needed information direktly
> >> from the kontakt's information?
> >
> > This is planned in forthcoming revisions of Kolab
> > that there is an entry in the ldap addressbook that points
> > to the distribution of the freebusy list for this user.
> > We believe it is a good idea.
>
> I believe that you misunderstood my idea. It's fine with all the people
> working in the same company as me, which uses the same server, but
> if i where to add you as a kontakt, a stranger, i want to be able to
> specify
> where your freebusy information is stored, so it can be retrieved when
> it is needed.

With my explanation above I think I've understood.
My point being was that we need a corresponding entry in the
addressbook for this to be neatly integrated in Kolab. :)

> >> Sure, there might be a little more waste of bandwith, but that is
> >> solveable by using a proxy server. But this would save administrator
> >> time, if the download happened automaticaly.
> >
> > Proxies can be used, yes. I don't see a that more bandwidth would
> > be used, when the idea is implemented.
>
> More bandwith is used when i create one meeting with you, and then
> someone else at my server creates another meeting with you, and we
> both pull your freebusy information from your server, rather than the
> sysadm
> downloading your freebusy once and put it on my server.

I see.