[Kroupware] First time install observations

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Dec 23 12:39:54 CET 2003

On Monday 22 December 2003 02:55, Bradley Alexander wrote:
> I'm a first-time installer of kolab, and I have a couple of questions
> regarding the install.
>
> First, are there any plans to expand the kolab server to use some form of
> the Linux Virtual Server?

There are no known plans to expand
kolab to use www.linuxvirtualserver.org.

> Since it appears from my seat that this is what
> is being done after a fashion anyway (separate versions of  the most base
> packages, like gcc, make, binutils etc), this sounds like a good direction
> to move.

From my understanding of linuxvirtualserver.org, it
is a clustering/load balancing technology.
Using Openpkg for Kolab on one machine is not
about distributing load on several machines,
but to have a way to distribute packages
for many operating system flavours.

Nonetheless, it is a standing wish to have more comfortable clustering
facilities integrated with Kolab. I am no expert on this, so
I don't know of technology of linuxvirtualserver.org could be helpful here.

> Why do you need to compile different versions of the base tools? Are there
> differences in the gcc 3.3 that lives on my Debian/sid machine and the one
> that is compiled for the kolab server? It just feels kind of wierd using
> rpms on my Debian system. :)

Yes, there are subtle differences which are very hard to maintain.

> It seems fairly straightforward to install the server. Has anyone come up
> with a script to build and install the rpms in the correct order? Has
> anyone considered putting together debs for this?

There have been several scripts and even warp-up debs
for those scripts by various contributors on this list.
You might browse the archives. Also somebody here might step forward.
(I'd like to include more information about all this on the kolab webpages,
if possible in the future, but we need people with comitment to maintain them
for a while.)

	Bernhard