[Kroupware] change daemons' bind/listen addresses (Was: Re: System MTA and Kolab)

Marc Schumann elmanso at fam-schumann.de
Fri Dec 5 18:48:27 CET 2003

Am Donnerstag, 4. Dezember 2003 21:54 schrieb Thomas Lotterer:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2003, Marc Schumann wrote:
> > a little bit OT, but how can I change IP kolab looking on. I think
> > this would be the easyest way. [...]
>
> Valid question. Erfrakon spun off their packaging from OpenPKG v1.1
> at which time all daemons used their vendor default config, usually a
> wildcard bind. OpenPKG v1.3 introduced that all daemons' config was
> changed listening to 127.0.0.1 by default. This allows installing and
> (accidentally) running them unconfigured without fear of opening the
> system to remote attacks. Also this way the likelyhood of collisions
> with sibling system services is reduced as a specific bind to IPv4
> localhost does not (less) interfere with (system) deamons' wildcard
> bind. Last but no least most daemons can be run and tested locally with
> no changes. End of generic OpenPKG talk.
>
> Having that said you need to understand that after the intial
> kolab_boostrap run and during normal operation with kolab daemon
> up and running the configuration files are under the control of
> Kolab. They will be created from templates which can be found under
> /kolab/etc/kolab/*.template.
>
> Apache:  httpd.conf.template, Listen directive
> Postfix: main.cf.template, inet_interfaces setting
> Cyrus:   cyrus.conf.template, listen directive in SERVICES section
> Proftpd: proftpd.conf.template, VirtualHost tag
>
> It shouldn't be necessary to change the bind/listen of other services
> like slapd, slurpd, saslauthd etc. unless you distribute them accross
> multiple machines or run multiple Kolab installations on a single
> machine.

Thanks for your answer, but ( sorry ) thats too complicated for me.
Itried a workaround :
kolab as it is ... , and my 'normal' postfix got port 2525 (easy to change
in /etc/postfix/master.cf.

The old problem with systemusers and their Mail to Kolab users is worked
around by me too. I have an alias in /etc/aliases for the users to an account
at my provider, and from there i fetch it with fetchmail.
Not a clean solution, but its easy, and it works.

Thanks Marc.