[Kroupware] Running Kolab on FreeBSD 5.1

Christopher Lewis chris at maximlighting.com
Wed Aug 27 10:39:40 CEST 2003

> > The biggest problem was getting Cyrus IMAPd to compile and run.
> > Unfortunately, the groupfile hack doesn't work with BSD.  The
> > fgetgrent call isn't available on BSD and needs to be replaced with
> > something that is platform independent.  I'm sorry, but I don't know
> > enough C to provide that.  Perhaps a Kolab developer can look at
> > this.
>
> if the fgetgrent call is only invoked as fgetgrent("/etc/group/") then
> a replacement for fgetgrent could be getgrent, but to be POSIX
> compliant, one should use getgrnam and getgrgid, and to iterate over
> all groups the POSIX function getgroups must be used.
>
> Jarl

Funny you should say that.  I looked on the internet to find a similar
function for fgetgrent, and noticed the getgroups function.  So, I changed
the fgetgrent calls to getgroups and imapd would compile.  However, after
starting Kolab, it would crash.  Obviously, I did something wrong, but I
don't know what it is.  I could also be wrong about this, but the getgroups
function description looked like it does something different on Linux than it
does in BSD.

Thanks for the advice.
--
Christopher Lewis