[Kroupware] freebusy outlook - authentication vs. free access

Jon Bendtsen jbendtsen at laerdal.dk
Fri Aug 8 14:01:26 CEST 2003

i'm trying to get outlook to use the freebusy system with kolab, and a
few things made me wonder...

Why not publish using your account, rather than freebusy:freebusy
is it because proftpd? cant authenticate through ldap?

Why are access to the http://<kolab server>/freebusy/ not allowed
without authentication? Is there a way to allow such access without
password? Is it possible to "sign" the freebusy list so that people
can know that it is me?

Apparently outlook can only look in one place, but suppose we have a
lots of meetings with a provider/client/... that also uses a kolab
(webdav for freebusy posting). If we can get a copy of their .vcf
files. Can we just put them in the same dir, or do we have to put
a @<domain name>.tld in the filename?
What happens if people has the same name? Since i write %NAME% in the
publish freebusy line, and i publish using freebusy:freebusy, how does
it know that it should change the filename to jbendtsen?

kan the kde kmail klient also use the freebusy system, and see the
schedule of outlook users?

outlook related questions, but someone might know it anyway:
does outlook search through ALL the files in the freebusy/ or just
the one that has the same name as the email address of the one you
want to look up?

i cant get outlook to search in the kolab ldap db. I wrote it in as
a directory service, and try to search for a contact, but the reply
is always that it cant find then data i'm looking for. It makes no
difference whether or not i log on to the ldap using a username or
not.

JonB
ps: is there a outlook<->kolab(<->kmail) howto somewhere? Most of the
documentation seems to be about the server part, and the server is
rather straitforward.