references and searches Re: [Kroupware] Kroupware RFC

Kervin L. Pierre kervin at blueprint-tech.com
Fri Apr 11 16:01:15 CEST 2003

Helge Hess wrote:

> Well, so far I cannot see how a scalable web client can be written using
> the architecture, sounds a bit like the information needs to be
> replicated back into a database to host a sufficient number of web users
> on a single server - but that would be against the initial design :-(
> But I need to think more about the issue.

Or a decent application server can be used.

kinda offtopic but...

A well written J2EE application would be just as efficient as any client
side application I suspect; we'd have a session and application scope to
play with.  Plus the components ( beans ) could be reused in a desktop
client if desired.  This would probably be true for most application
servers.

A simple scripting language ( eg. PHP, Perl ), would call for temp
directories ( like squirrelmail uses ) or temp tables in a DB ( which
would call for a DB dependency ) and neither would scale well.

An application server, on the other hand, can keep a lot of those
variables/datasets in memory if they're small enough, writing out only
when it really needs too.  Large gains in performance and security.
There are undoubtly lots of other optimizations that the app server can
take advantage of that the simple scripting language based program would
find difficult/impossible to implement

Squirrelmail is a great package, if PHP is decided to be the best option
then a squirrelmail plugin would be a good direction.  But Squirrelmail
seems to be hindered by its platform of choice; and I suspect any
application written for a simple web language would have to deal with
those problems.

>> KMail is responsible for caching the imap folder.
>> Simple maildir files with KMail indices
>> check  ls -al  ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/imap
>> But KOrganizer reads the contents, if you are interested in it,
>> you probably have to dig into the code a bit and then ask on the
>> kde-pim list.
>

> OK.
>
> Thanks for your answers,
>   Helge