[Kroupware] KMail libkorganizer.so

Bo Thorsen kroupware@mail.kde.org
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 16:47:12 +0200

On Tuesday 01 April 2003 16:36, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 April 2003 16:30, Stephan Buys wrote:
> > Either I overwrite my 3.1.1 binaries and libraries and have a system
> > wide Kolab client.
> >
> > or I install 3.1.1 in my development user's home directory and
> > overwrite the binaries and libraries with the Kolab ones, thus
> > localizing the risk but taking a lot of diskspace and a _long_ time.
>
> You can have a second system wide 3.1.1 directory for the KDE Kolab
> client, which does not waste so much space.

Yes - arts, kdelibs, kdebase, kroupware-kdepim and kroupware-kdenetwork is=
=20
what's needed.

> > Either way the binaries and libraries have to exist in the same
> > place.
>
> I'm not completely sure. Maybe adding a LD_LIBRARY_PATH component
> and PATH component before the system wide stuff will work
> in some combination.

It is possible to install KDE applications in another place than the KDE=20
libs, but I don't know how. Anyway, the kroupware_branch kdepim and=20
kdenetwork is a replacement for the normal KDE ones, not an addon.

> > I am willing to try the first scenario but I am scared of losing my
> > mail or address book. Are there any real risks involved? (The Kolab
> > Install guide warns about IMAP folder mangling...)
>
> To have backups is always and generally important, if you do major
> changes. AFAIK the KDE Kolab client cannot use normal IMAP accounts
> currently so don't try him on it.

Your korganizer and kaddressbook data will be untouched, if you configure=20
the kroupware apps to use the IMAP storage. You even have to import the=20
current data in them manually.

If you have KMail IMAP accounts, you will do well by taking a backup of=20
your current kmail settings, delete the IMAP account and delete=20
~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/imap. This way you can start with completely=20
fresh KMail IMAP folders.

If you can take full backup of the IMAP folders and the contents of kmails=
=20
IMAP dir (as above), I'd love to hear what actually happens when you just=20
change the KMail account from normal IMAP to disconnected IMAP. The=20
server contents should be fine, but I'm very much interested in how KMail=20
behaves. Hmm, maybe I should compile a standard KDE 3.1.1 KMail just to=20
see this. But be sure to tell how it went.

Bo.

=2D --=20

     Klar=E4lvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark