[Kroupware] FAQ: flexible administration of multiple kolab servers

Martin Konold kroupware@mail.kde.org
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:58:03 +0200

Hi Brad,

> This is why I stopped pushing SLP so hard. Of course, the right abstrac=
tion
> should make it transparent as to the service discovery technique.

I aggree with you.

Kalle what do you think about Brads wrapper proposol?

> But just
> allow for it with an abstracted function: get_my_imap_server_ip(), rath=
er
> than hard coding in gethostbyname(). Even if it just a wrapper.

> > This is indeed a vaild point. Which kind of disadvantages do I have t=
> > expect when using CNAMES? What about SMTP?
>
> I don't think that there will be any. Most people already use CNAMEs to
> point to major servers, including POP3 and SMTP. Your ISP probably does
> this. sendmail is probably the worst case. It doesn't like to see CNAME=
s on
> the right hand side of a MX record, and may not strip off the right par=
ts.
> This usually leads to mail looping. But presumably you weren't planning=
> use those records for MX anyway, so it won't matter.

I am not sure. It can be useful in the future to be able to also use MX=20
records.

> > > With Dynamic DNS, you can do this automagically from the LDAP serve=
r.

> Presumably you have one or more LDAP attribute for each user that says
> "this user is hosted on this server" (or "the IMAP server for this user=
 is
> <some server>", whatever).

Ok, this would be more flexible than hardwiring...

> manipulating a CNAME. Is this clearer?

Yes!

> specific examples (I'll need to set up BIND first, so it will take a
> while...)

No need to do so. I am familiar with bind 9.

Regards,
--martin
Germanenstrasse 15, 70563 Stuttgart, Germany
email: martin.konold@erfrakon.de