[Kroupware] FAQ: multi domain support

Martin Konold kroupware@mail.kde.org
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 07:41:25 +0200

Question: How do we intend to provide multi domain support with kolab

Answer:
Basically cyrus imapd does not know about multiple domains but only about
uids.=20

We assume that email addresses are globally unique and create the uid wit=
this algorithm.

Create an email alias according to the firstname.lastname@domain template=
=2E=20
If there is a naming collision e.g. hans.maier@domain does already propos=
e an
alternativ via firstname.lastname<number>@domain. In addition the
administrator is allowed to change this proposal (e.g. introducing a midd=
le
name or using suffixes or prefixes like jr, sen etc).=20
The admin GUI takes care that the finally chosen email alias is unique
before accepting to create the account.

The users email address is then normally firstname.lastname@domain.

After the email alias is guaranteed to be unique we do create the imapd
uid according to the following scheme:

uid=3Dunique email alias with dots and @ replaced by underscores.

Example:

Account:
        First Name: Hans
        Last Name: Maier
        Domain: kde.org

Create Email Alias:
        hans.maier@kde.org

If there is a naming collision with this email alias propose
        hans.maier2@kde.org
to the administrator

Imagine the administrator accepts this proposal.

Check that the new alias is unique and then create the imapd uid as

hans_mayer2_kde_org

The user will then be told the following data:

email address: hans.maier2@kde.org
kolab_uid: hans_mayer2_kde_org
kolab_password: Initial password set by administrator
kolab_server: dns name of kolab server e.g. kolab.kde.org

Yours,
--martin
Germanenstrasse 15, 70563 Stuttgart, Germany
email: martin.konold@erfrakon.de