[Kroupware] Web interface frontend

konold@erfrakon.de kroupware@mail.kde.org
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 16:20:29 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Andreas,

> so this is something i can understand. "We are sorry, but all we
> currently have is the concept paper, and we still try to figure
> out if things might some day work like we promise".

Bullshit! We are currently _very_ hard to get a first alpha released
published during the coming week!

> no business card contains a userpassword to my knowledge.

> an object might be both: a contact/person/... and an account
> (or an whatwasthenameoftheitemthatallowestohaveauserpassword),
> but a contact per se has no userpassword.

Tassilo: Do you want to comment on this?

> what about discussing this stuff in irc or on the phone?
> i asked martin a week or two before about that, no response so far.

> mostly the concept paper provides no details about the server.
> and when it does as in some example it needs improvement (like the
> dn's), or its plain wrong (like the vcard message following a text about
> tnef files).

The concept paper is a "living" document and will be subject to permanent
change!

> and: if you want true features exchange has, then we need to discuss
> users managing distribution lists, we need to discuss how to build
> a server system that supports sites, and all this stuff. and that stuff
> is not easy. i found exactly one paper on ldap mailservers with sites
> so far (based on linux/open source).

If you mean with "sites" support for multiple domains then I can tell you
that we believe to have found a nice solution.

> there is no guarantee ot make an open source project vital or even
> successfull, but my experience includes not only the stuff published by
> esr, but also some points like:

I am wondering how much successful OSS project you have managed sofar.
Please believe us that we know pretty good how our project works.

> so, can we do this?

Basically show working _code_ and demonstrate the good things about it in
order to convince people to adapt it.

Last but not least please be aware of the fact that we are not only
targeting OL but the Linux desktop and that OL is only a temporary
solution until there are alternatives.

 Regards,
-- martin

Germanenstra=DFe 15, 70563 Stuttgart, Germany
mobil: 0175 4148693
fax: 0175 13 4148693
email: martin.konold@erfrakon.de