[Kroupware] [ot] maildir & locking (was: Re: Web interface frontend)

Marc Mutz kroupware@mail.kde.org
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 23:37:28 +0200

--Boundary-02=_Y+Ml9PS/8Aw/Xzy

On Friday 27 September 2002 17:37, konold@erfrakon.de wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Marc Mutz wrote:
<snip>
> > Cyrus is working with maildirs
>
> Not directly via the fs layer!
>
> The Cyrus mail store is very similar to maildir but is controlled via
> cyrus. So direct manipulation of the files via a MUA is very
> dangerous and destroys vital cyrus data. (database about preparsed
> headers etc)

OK. Sorry, I thought Cryus used maildir for that...

>  > and they need no
> >
> > locking whatsoever. So they're save over NFS.
>
> Sorry, but this is also not the case for pure maildir
> implementations. Just think about concurrent access of multiple
> clients (which is allowed according to the imap standard!)
<snip>

Yes? What can go wong? Status updates are mv's, which are atomic on=20
almost all OSs. Adding a new mail is done via assembling it in tmp/,=20
then mv'ing it to new/. Changing a mail's content is done by writing=20
the new version to tmp/, then mv'ing it over the old one.

Where do you see locking issues here?

Marc

=2D-=20
It's good fortune for the government that the masses don't think.
                                                         -- Adolf Hitler

--Boundary-02=_Y+Ml9PS/8Aw/Xzy

--Boundary-02=_Y+Ml9PS/8Aw/Xzy--