[Kroupware] Re: Web interface frontend

Steffen Hansen kroupware@mail.kde.org
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 12:52:33 +0200

* Marc Mutz <mutz@kde.org> [Sep 27. 2002 12:06]:
> On Friday 27 September 2002 10:05, Martin Konold wrote:
> <snip>
> > P.S.: reading a mailspool over nfs is _not_ a good idea.
>
> Why? If you mean that the traffic is not encrypted I'd agree, but if you
> mean the locking issue: Cyrus is working with maildirs and they need no
> locking whatsoever. So they're save over NFS.

I know really know what I'm talking about here, but AFAIK Maildir is a
specific way of storing messages in a directory with 3 subdirs (new/, cur/
and tmp/) and special rules for the filename of each message.

Cyrus is not like that. It _does_ store each message is a separate file,
but there are no new/ etc. subdirs and the of each message-file is just
it's UID plus a dot.

In addition to that Cyrus keeps a couple of files (cyrus.cache,
cyrus.header, cyrus.index and cyrus.seen), which I guess are subject to
locking problems.

> It's good fortune for the government that the masses don't think.
>                                                          -- Adolf Hitler

Then the governments of today are pretty well off, aren't they :-)

wkr.
--
Steffen Hansen

Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB

email: hansen@kde.org, steffen@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se,
       steffen@hrhansen.dk
www:   http://www.hrhansen.dk