[Kroupware] Kaplans involvement in the Kroupware project [was: Re: Preannounce: Kroupware Project started]

Daniel Molkentin daniel.molkentin@sap.com
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:23:31 +0200

On Wednesday 11 September 2002 12:40, Don Sanders wrote:
> Ok. Yes we shouldn't forget the Kaplan guys. I do apologize to them

"The Kaplan Guys" is acutally a bit much, it's more or less only me :)
While mhk wrote the framework, he pretty much dumped it, Cornelius commited=
 it=20
to CVS because he was asked to and felt it might be usefull and I continued=
=20
to hack on it a bit but I got pretty much stuck because... well, I didn't=20
find a non-destructive way to turn KMail into a KPart :/

> but I've been too busy to look at their project. But I plan to make
> KMainWin a KPart very soon, and hopefully they'll like that.=20

I am looking forward to that :)

> BTW about the name Kontact, the main problem with it is that the
> domain Kontact.org is taken by someone who is asking quite a lot of
> money for it. But I negotiated it down a bit to $US333 and have made
> a payment to buy the name, hopefully ownership rights will be
> transferred to me soon.

What is so bad about Kollab? (IIRC that was Martin's creation and in the=20
mini-meeting we had on LinuxTag very much appreciated that name)=20
Collaboration is what this is all about. And kollab.org is free according t=
o=20
whois.

Btw: I just talked to Martin about the architecture. I am fairly new to tha=
t=20
list (I subscribed like 2 hours ago), but from what I understood it is=20
planned to use KMail as a container for now due to the tight schedule.

My Question to Don is: How realistic would it be to change the KMail intern=
als=20
in the make_it_cool branch to have a KPart in the given (and very tight)=20
schedule?

The other question relates to the technique behind the intercommunication.=
=20
Currently Kaplan uses KParts only for integration, not for communication. F=
or=20
that, each Part registers as a new DCOP client. That kills two birds with o=
ne=20
stone: First you don't have to care wether the client is running inside or=
=20
outside the Kaplan container and (given the fact that all PIM applications=
=20
are KUniqueApplications) it will prohibit an application to start an intern=
al=20
instance if a Kaplan component already registered a DCOP instance with the=
=20
same name.=20

How did you guys plan to do the IPC?

Cheers,