[Kroupware] Newbie: How to start

Bernhard Reiter kroupware@mail.kde.org
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:19:29 +0100

--2qXFWqzzG3v1+95a

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 12:10:14PM +0100, Reiner Knoebl wrote:
> Where I have to start to implement the Kroupware in our company?=20

Note that we still work on the server documentation and packaging
and on the KDE Kolab client.

First you need to run a Kolab server.

> We have two site locations with a Linux server and several Windows
> Clients on each of them.

For the windows clients right now you can try to use the Bynari
plugin for Outlook.

> I am not really fond of writing Windows Software, but a MAPI dll would=20
> be a great thing (to get rid of proprietary things), and I have  several=
=20
> years experience to do things on the Win32 API. I have not much spared=20
> time, but if it helps. Has someone a guess of the time necessary to=20
> write such a thing?

=46rom our current knowledge a mapi.dll will not work out.
Several companies mostly unsuccessully tried to implement products=20
working nicely with Exchange and Outlook.=20
(Note that if we want to understand the static files you can find
a lot of code documenting many MAPI properties.)

In the future we hope that a Free Software Windows Kolab client
can be developed. As this is a major undertaking it will probably
take quite a while unless funding for contracts can be found.
A Windows Free Software Kolab Client is not part of the current=20
Kroupware project.

--2qXFWqzzG3v1+95a

--2qXFWqzzG3v1+95a--