[Kroupware] MAPI and bynari connector

Kervin L. Pierre kroupware@mail.kde.org
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:28:24 -0500

I maybe wrong here,

but I think bynari connector is a MAPI plugin and not a replacement (
ie. no reverse engineering or ethereal needed ).

MAPI allows you to drop in third party datastores or service providers
by providing the routines to access those, and that's what I think
bynari uses.

 From msdn:
 >service provider
 >    A MAPI component that allows a client application to use the
 >services of a messaging system. A service provider is typically part
of >a message service and offers address book, form management, message
 >store, messaging hook, profile section, or transport services. See
also >address book provider, form library provider, message store
provider, >messaging hook provider, profile provider, transport
provider. For more >information, see Service Provider Basics.

It seems that what is really needed to have outlook compatibility would
be to write a win32 dll that conforms to the server provider API ( or
maybe it's another part of MAPI ) in MAPI.  And those  APIs are
documented in MAPI programmers guide at http://msdn.microsoft.com/

--Kervin