[Kroupware] Kroupware server

Martin Konold kroupware@mail.kde.org
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 00:24:07 +0100

On Tuesday 29 October 2002 11:14 pm, Lukas Smith wrote:

Hi Lukas,

> Well I guess most kolab servers will be dedicated to this task alone,
> and therefore those dependencies will not create much of an issue ....

Yes! And in addition as soon as distributions like debian ship kolab the=20
dependencies are handled by the respective package managers.

> The only dependency I could see being dropped is kicking out either PHP
> or PERL .. with PHP making itself more and more useful for CLI scriptin=
> and PERL being a useful tool for web scripting (if you set development
> rules).
>
> But I guess its also a factor of who dies what and what tool that perso=
> knows best.

Exaclty this happened. I favoured to use php for both but due to time=20
contraints and the preference of the developer doing actually most of the=
=20
coding perl was chosen for the backend. But noone prevents anyone from=20
changing that.=20

In general there a lot of dependencies in kolab but they are all very wel=
l=20
defined so that individual parts can be easily exchanged. E.g. replacing=20
postfix with exim or OpenLDAP with Novells LDAP server is definelty possi=
ble.

Regards,
--martin
--=20
Germanenstrasse 15, 70563 Stuttgart, Germany
email: martin.konold@erfrakon.de