[Kroupware] Scalability

Andreas Jellinghaus kroupware@mail.kde.org
06 Oct 2002 19:56:24 +1300

Scalability to the extremly large is a feature.
Your claim this feature for your design.
Your design has a certain amount of complexity.

Complexity has a price: it requires people to understand it,
to grasp it, to be able to deal with bugs, problems etc.

My personal opinion is: the price of using your design
is too high for a small system. There are alternatives
with much lower complexity, and thus a lower price.
(i haven't looked at the hardware costs, but i don't think there
is a major difference. And my experience is that many companies are
willing to pay for hardware, but not the people who can understand
complex designs.)

On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 22:47, Martin Konold wrote:
> I therefore do not accept the claim that such things do increase the
> complexity while only serving less than 1% of the installations.

The gentle reader will make his own decision on how complex the
different proposed solutions are.

Regards, Andreas