[Kroupware] FAQ: flexible administration of multiple kolab servers

Martin Konold kroupware@mail.kde.org
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 10:50:05 +0200

On Wednesday 02 October 2002 07:31 pm, Tim Jansen wrote:

Hi,

> 1. The point, that I was trying to make, is that there is no reason why=
 DNS
> should be faster than LDAP, so DNS just increases complexity without ad=
ding
> any advantage

There are multiple advantages.=20
- No need for extra client support. The scheme can be used by all clients=
=20
without modification
- extra scalability via lacy caching
- availabilty of an enourmeous amount of already installed infrastructure=
 aka=20
dns servers
- passes firewalls easily
- last but not least only data which is actually really used is cached
- LDAP replication does not scale as good as DNS therefore

Regards,
--martin
Germanenstrasse 15, 70563 Stuttgart, Germany
email: martin.konold@erfrakon.de