[Kroupware] FAQ: flexible administration of multiple kolab servers

Martin Konold kroupware@mail.kde.org
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 08:09:04 +0200

On Tuesday 01 October 2002 01:42 am, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

Hi,

> dns does not allow _ in names.
>
> > e.g. hans_mayer_kde_org.kde.org points to kolab.kde.org in our case.

Yes, you have a point. Actually it looks like newer version of DNS do all=
ow it=20
but the 1985 (sic!) RFC 952 explicitly mentions only A-Z, . and - as beei=
ng=20
allowed in names. The special meaning of the . is well known.

Side Note: This rather old RFC also makes other rules which are not follo=
wed=20
today anymore like the naming of gateways...

On the other hand this RFC does not forbidd using double hyphens?!

What about changing from "_" to hyphen "-"?

Yours,
--martin
P.S.: All my tests with recent DNS servers did work without problems.

Germanenstrasse 15, 70563 Stuttgart, Germany
email: martin.konold@erfrakon.de