[Kroupware] Re: kroupware_branch: kdepim/korganizer

Steffen Hansen kroupware@mail.kde.org
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 08:39:28 +0100

* Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher@kde.org> [Nov 05. 2002 15:55]:
> On Tuesday 05 November 2002 14:31, Steffen Hansen wrote:
> > CVS commit by steffen:
> >
> > Simpler handling of todo items. #define NO_KROUPWARE_TODOS to get the old
> > behaviour
>
> This is exactly the kind of stuff which will make a lot of work, when merging
> into HEAD.

Yeah, but what can I do when I'm asked to implement this...

> We can't just remove existing KOrganizer functionality and replace it by some
> kroupware specific functionality. Keeping the define is also not acceptable,
> because it would mean that we still would need different builds for the
> original KOrganizer and the kroupware version. I really think our goal has to
> be to make the standard KDE clients compatible with the kolab server and to
> not provide special versions for this case.

I know the commit touches quite a number of files, but most of the
changes are trivial (like making a method virtual, adding a new
contructor etc.).

Only one .h and one .cpp use the NO_KROUPWARE_TODOS macro. I didn't
_remove_ any code from korganizer -- I just reimplemented a method in a
subclass. If you remove this method, you get the original behaviour
again.

> By the way, as it was always was stated that the name "kroupware" will die
> with the end of the development contract, you shouldn't put it in the source
> code which will (hopefully) live much longer.
>
> And another side note: it would be more consistent, if you would respect the
> KOrganizer naming conventions for ui files. This also will make merging
> easier. In this case it's probably not very good to use a ui file at all.

I often find it much easier to modify other peoples .ui files than their
code.

About the naming convention: I can s/Base/_base/ on that .ui file if you
want.

wkr.
--
Steffen Hansen

Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB

email: hansen@kde.org, steffen@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se,
       steffen@hrhansen.dk
www:   http://www.hrhansen.dk