[Kroupware] Re: kroupware - kde 3.2 ??

Marc Mutz kroupware@mail.kde.org
Tue, 05 Nov 2002 20:15:16 +0100

--Boundary-02=_SjBy9IyS4G9nExD

On Tuesday 05 November 2002 16:53, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
<snip>
> > I agree with you that we should start very soon. On the other hand
> > I am not so keen on discussing to many fundamental
> > architecture/design decissions because imho it is very important to
> > get a generally usable kolab client very soon.
>
> That would mean to wait with the merge, wouldn't it? Merging the
> branch into HEAD will not help with getting a stable client.
<snip>

(Speaking as a Kroupware team member:)

We don't intend to drop kroupware_branch just after KDE3.1 tagging. For
KMail, we want to merge MDNs and the IMAP changes into HEAD asap,
mainly to make it easier to track HEAD changes and merge them into the
branch when the larger changes to KMail start to appear.

I can't judge what's the best strategy for merging into kdepim, but the
kdenetwork one is pretty clear:

1. Merge MDN, sieve/vacation and IMAP changes ASAP
<that leaves only the controversial parts of kdenetwork/kroupware in the
branch>
2. In the branch or another one, port kroupware to Kaplan using code
   from make_it_cool.
3. Once that's finished, merge it into HEAD.

The only question is how much resources we can enable for (2) without
sacrificing the stability of the Kolab Client. At a minimum, that means
that HEAD should be able to still compile and run against
KDE_3_1_BRANCH libs at least until the end of the year, so Kroupware
doesn't require HEAD kdelibs when it goes into production use at the
customer.

Can you give an overview of the kdepim side of things?

(Speaking as a KDE developer:)

You know that it's part of the contract to develop "within the KDE
development model", so they cannot work against us without breaking
their contract ;-) Well, realistically they'd probably get away with
it, but I can tell you that they _want_ to work with the HEAD people.

Am am very confident that the kroupware merge will be much less painful
than the Aegypten one was, at least on the kdenetwork side. But then,
we (kdenetwork) are used to this kind of thing by now, while it's the
first time for you (kdepim) :-)

Marc

--
The DMCA is unconstitutional, but they don't care. Until it's ruled
unconstitutional, they've won. If they can scare software companies,