CSG Code

Andreas Zehender zehender at kde.org
Wed Oct 13 19:11:19 CEST 2004

Hi!

On Wednesday, 13. October 2004 01:22, Leon Pennington wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Completed a working version of my CSG code using BSP as its base, and it
> comes in at a very compact 400 lines of code in my little testing program (
> a tenth the size of the BREP implementation ), and its very quick so quick
> I tried timing it and the two cubes CSG I was using for a basis didn't even
> register a time above 0.0. Its only a proof of the fact that it works, and
> not that sophisticated but I feel confident in using this as a basis for
> KPOV.

Cool, do you have any experimental screenshots?

> Now comes the part of intergrating it into KPOV. This is quite a big task
> since lines are no longer good enough, and all the objects will have to be
> converted too using polygons ( Obviously excluding lights and cameras, and
> other none solid objects ). I'm willing to do this.

If you look at the class documentation of PMViewStructure, you will notice
that I planed to extend it to contain faces, too.

> Though it has occured to me since I'm converting them anyway, how about we
> take advantage of this, I've been think of a global detail level for a
> while now. Some one mentioned it when I did the Heightfield display, but
> also generating the sphere sweep, with its values for detail as well. I was
> wondering what people would think of a global detail level for all object (
> well most, it wouldn't apply to cubes for instance, only onjects with
> rounded surfaces ), and what would be the preferred way to achieve this. I
> thinking coding wise, where would the objects get the value for detail
> from. perhaps a parameter to createViewStructure?

Fine with me.
This global detail level _could_ apply to cubes. It could increase or decrease
detail levels specified for objects in the settings dialog.

Greetigns, Andreas

 Andreas Zehender
 Master of Computer Science, Dipl. Ing. (BA)
 http://www.azweb.de
 az at azweb.de | zehender at kde.org