Renderman Exporter

david at david-williams.info david at david-williams.info
Fri Nov 26 16:14:01 CET 2004

Ok, i'm getting pretty close but still not quite there! I've got
yesterdays CVS version of KPovModeler and defined KPM_WITH_PLUGINS so
now I get the plugins page in the settings dialog.

I also recompiled the sample plugin and i'm reasonably happy stuff is in
the right place. I start KpovModeler, go to settings, and the plugin
shows up. I click load and it's status changes to 'loaded' but it
doesn't appear in the main menu.

The output on the console is:

kpovmodeler: WARNING: Serialization method for Light shadows old
implementation
kpovmodeler: WARNING: Serialization method for GlobalSettings shadows
old implementation
kpovmodeler: WARNING: Serialization method for Interior shadows old
implementation
kpovmodeler: WARNING: Serialization method for Pattern shadows old
implementation
kpovmodeler: WARNING: Serialization method for Normal shadows old
implementation
kpovmodeler: WARNING: Serialization method for Warp shadows old
implementation
kpovmodeler: WARNING: Serialization method for Finish shadows old
implementation
kpovmodeler: WARNING: Serialization method for Media shadows old
implementation
kpovmodeler: WARNING: Serialization method for GraphicalObject shadows
old implementation
kpovmodeler: WARNING: Serialization method for Pigment shadows old
implementation
kpovmodeler: WARNING: Serialization method for Texture shadows old
implementation
kpovmodeler: WARNING: Serialization method for BicubicPatch shadows old
implementation
kpovmodeler: WARNING: Serialization method for Triangle shadows old
implementation
kparts: ReadWritePart::setModified( false)
kparts: found Plugin :
/usr/share/apps/kpovmodeler/kpartplugins/kpmtestplugin.rc !
kparts: found Plugin :
/usr/share/apps/kpovmodeler/kpartplugins/kpmtestplugin.rc !
kparts: loadPlugins found desktopfile for kpovmodeler:
kparts: load plugin kpmtestplugin
kdecore (KLibLoader): library=libkpmtestplugin: No file named
libkpmtestplugin.la found in paths.
kpovmodeler: PMGLView: XVisual found
kpovmodeler: PMGLView: RGB_DEFAULT scmap used
kpovmodeler: PMGLView: glx context created
kparts: DockMainWindow::createGUI for part
kpovmodeler: Saving configuration
kparts: Part::~Part 0x81255a0

So it's finding the .rc file but not the actual libray which is in
/usr/lib/kde3/ with some other KDE plugins. Linking to /usr/lib/
doesn't help either so where is it looking?

However, I was able to change the .rc file to contain the path as
follows:

<!DOCTYPE kpartgui SYSTEM "kpartgui.dtd">
<kpartgui library="/usr/lib/kde3/libkpmtestplugin" name="kpmtestplugin"
version="1"
 description="Test Plugin 1.0">

<MenuBar>
  <Menu name="file">
    <Action name="exportnewtype"/>
  </Menu>
</MenuBar>

</kpartgui>

Though i'm not sure if i'm actually allowed to do this! Now the output
when running KPovModeler is:

[...]
kparts: Part::~Part 0x81255f8

So it no longer complains it can't find the library but it still doesn't
appear in the menu! I also tried changing 'file' in the .rc file to
'File' incase it was case sensitive but didn't seem to help.

I notice in the sample plugin there is the line:

kdDebug( ) << "Test plugin loaded" << endl;

which doesn't appear to get executed. So i'm a bit stuck!

All i can think of is to look at the code where the plugin is loaded and
try and change some stuff here with debug statements etc. Can you tell
me which bits of code might be relevant?

Hopefully nearly there!

David