PLZ HELP

Andreas Zehender kpovmodeler-devel@mail.kde.org
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 09:21:32 +0100

Hi!

On Saturday, 15. March 2003 06:45, Resly Joe Mathews wrote:
>  I'M NEW TO THIS LIST.....

Welcome!

> I WOULD LIKE TO GET BASIC INFORMATION
> ON HOW THE KPOV MODELER WAS DEVELOPED....I TRIED OPENING THE CODE
> IN K-DEVELOP AND QT-DESIGNER...NEITHER WORKED.....
> I WOULD LIKE TO GET HELP......AND GET BASIC INFO ABOUT THE
> FRAMEWORK OF CODE, AND ALL THE CLASSES USED

First of all: If you want to get the current framework, you should use the CVS
version (there is a small howto on http://www.kpovmodeler.org/download.html).
We are working on a plugin framework, so the complete framework has quite
changed recently.

KPovModeler was developed without any IDE, and that will not change until
KDevelop has a decent editor like emacs or a useful autocompletion. Gideon
seems promising but is not stable enough yet.

You should be able to import the project from the Makefile.am into KDevelop.
Maybe the menu entry Project/Create project file does this, but I am not
sure. I never used KDevelop.

You can generate a class documentation with kdoc/makekdedoc or with doxygen.
All classes and methods (with a few exceptions) are well documented.
To learn the framework you should start with the class PMObject which is the
base class for all objects (and has quite a number of methods). To get an
idea what new objects have to implement, use the class PMBox as example.
Especially for animations and scripting: Have a look at the meta object
(PMMetaObject) and the PMObject::property( ) and PMObject::setProperty( )
methods. There is already a properties system in CVS to get and set
properties by name.

The document class is PMPart, the base class for views is PMViewBase (only cvs
version). There are only a fews signals that connect the document with the
views and help to synchronize changes in all views. The most important is the
objectChanged signal and slotObjectChanged slot of all views and the
document.

>From these classes you should be able to dig through the generated class
documentation. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here.

And the last: There was another person (Sylvain Joyeux) who wanted to
contribute animation support. Maybe you could exchange some ideas. And there
were already some discussions about animations in KPovModeler. Just search
for the subject "Want to contribute" (around end of january) and for
"animation" in the message body.

Greetings,
Andreas

 Andreas Zehender
 Master of Computer Science, Dipl. Ing. (BA)
 http://www.azweb.de
 az@azweb.de | zehender@kde.org