Want to contribute

CARVALHO Luis Passos kpovmodeler-devel@mail.kde.org
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 18:55:33 -0000

> Hi!
>
> My suggestion:
> kpovmodeler/part/core: All core classes, tools, etc.
> Everything that is needed
> by other classes and the plugins.
> kpovmodeler/part/ui: All widgets used only by the shell or part

Yes, that's good.

> kpovmodeler/plugins/povray: The plugin class itself,
> registering, settings
> dialog page etc.
> kpovmodeler/plugins/povray/textures: Textures and edit widgets
> kpovmodeler/plugins/povray/objects: Objects and edit widgets
> kpovmodeler/plugins/povray/io: Povray import (parser) and export
> (serialization)

This one I don't understand.
You mean you intend to move everything we have into a single specialized
povray plugin?
Or does it mean we'll have one plugin for each povray object, plus one
pluging for import and another for export?

My idea was that plugins would allow us to extend what kpovmodeler provides,
not replace kpovmodeler. If we have a specialized povray plugin for all
things povray provides, we'll have a monster plugin for each renderer that
has little or no code reuse with the others.

Although the textures are usually very specific to a renderer, the 3d
objects can be used as they are independently of renderer, as only the
import/export are different. In this case, I would have IO in a separate
plugin from the objects/textures.

Could you please share with us what services a plugin must implement?

> Andreas
>
> PS: Remember me to change my .signature :-)

Don't forget to change your .signature ;-)

Regards,
Luis