Landscapes & Heightfields

Andreas Zehender zehender at kde.org
Sun Aug 17 19:30:03 CEST 2003

Hi!

Back from my holidays now.
Well, I'm one more week at home, enjoying the sun and the butterflies and the
bees and birds and... :-)

First of all, a landscape plugin would be a great addition to the modeler.

I have only a quite old linux distribution here and can't compile and
therefore comment on your code at the moment.

Although the plugin framework is not finished yet, plugins that generate
POV-Ray objects or modify a scene in general are possible and quite easy to
implement.

What does your code generate?
Images for height fields, that means the scene is not modified at all?

If yes, some ideas: The first task for you could be to add the wire frame to
the height field object. At the moment the modeler shows only the water level
of height fields.

Your plugin would then add only a menu entry to the program, that opens your
landscape generator in a separate window. The landscape generator only
exports images and doesn't change the scene.

IIRC there is a class or service the recognizes file changes. With this
service you can keep the wire frame in the wire frame views up to date if the
heightfield image changes.

And yes, as Luis wrote, we need an active developer for new POV-Ray 3.5
objects. We have not much spare time to work on the modeler at the moment.

Can you write a few sentences about yourself?
How much time do you want to spend on the project?

Greetings, Andreas

 Andreas Zehender, Master of Computer Science
 http://www.azweb.de
 az at azweb.de | zehender at kde.org