[kplato] Look 'n Field

Frédéric Lambert konkistadorr.kde at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 18:09:30 CEST 2008

Hi !

This is my first feelings when I Open KPlato today (Normal project) after
months.

- 4 vertical windows : it's too too much i think.
- Where am i ?

I really think the window displayed when user open new project should be a
help windows. It would tell user which windows do what and where he has to
start.
Even if user is a "always user" of project managment software, you shouldn't
let him open on Task Editor.

This is what i found, no matter the order :

Ressources : Add group, Add Resources : Fred. Add Resources : Bobby.
I Edit the first Ressource : Fred and his details are on the right window. Ok.
I edit the second and i haven't the details on the right under the first
ressource, why ? I think it's a bug.

Work & Vacation :
- Left window souldn't has such vertical length.
I think Calendar should take all the width and add some colors.

Scale windows :
- Gantt windows aren't well scaled : % Completed and Start Time to large
- Task by ressource : Type too large.
- Work and vacation : timezone too large.
- Task Status and Task Execution : Name too large.
- Ressource assignments : Name too small
- Task by ressources : Name and Tasks too small

Dependencies :

Dependencies List :
- windows aren't in the good order.
First : Tasks , Second : Available , Third: Results ?
Because we must select right, then left, and show in the middle ?
Title are not very explicit.
Middle window has no title : what does it show ?

- Can't we merge the two Dependencies windows to be sure of what we do?
Up : List, Down : Graphic ; whith the possibility to show graphics in the full
window. At least in the Dependencies List,  a preview gantt windows focus on
the task selected.

-when adding a new Task (Task Editor), Why can't we choose to start a task
before, After and same time than the X task (Already added) ?

General :
- Calendar widget in Timezone Editor don't show all dates number.
- Why hide all the informations like in Task Status, Resource assignemts, Task
by resources and Schedule : Result ?

Finaly i think that the most important thing to do is to add a sentence  on
the top of each window or in the bar in the bottom of KPlato. to :
1) Say what current window show and 2) how use it.
Exemple : i didn't notice we could link task in the depencies graphics until
moving on a very tiny part of a task rectangle.
Add comment in bottom would be nice.

I think kplato is really powerfull and it diserve to be more user friendly, I
think it will conqueer more people and evoid to afraid them when they open
KPlato for the first time.

I'm done for now.

Please tell me what you wanna modify and i'll do.

Fred.