[kplato] request

Claus Agerskov ca at chbs.dk
Tue Nov 2 00:15:48 CET 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Mark Tombs wrote:

> On Monday 01 November 2004 12.18, Dag Andersen wrote:
> > On Søndag 31 oktober 2004 20:02, Mark Tombs wrote:
> >
> > Can you explain the difference between duration and estimate, just to
> > make things clearer for me?
>
> I can try. In my book, the duration is the length of the task, and the
> estimate is the amount of hours a person is going to be working on the task.

Duration is the calendar time of a task.

Work is the amount of total time (sum of all the time ressources expected
to spent on the task).

Both duration and work can be estimated. So it is not a good idea to use
the word "estimate" for the estimated amount of work.

> A task can be 10 days long, but not have 10x8 (I'm assuming an 8-hour working
> day) estimate, because a person may only be doing two hours a day on the
> task, or they might not have a smooth assignment - a resource might be
> estimated to do 8 hours on the first day, then nothing the second day, then 8
> hours after that.

Don't pick too much at Microsoft Project - you can specify specific
workload for each ressource on each task if you want to.

> I am not suggesting 'dumbing down' kplato, actually the opposite. I want the
> control to be in the hands of the project manager, not the scheduling
> algorithm. The PM should be able to under or over-assign resources. The PM
> should be able to finely control the hours of the assignment, and know that
> what they have entered will stay there. I think that in this case, simpler is
> also more powerful :)

You just have change the settings in Microsoft Project to let you have the
control instead of Microsoft Project.

But I will vote for that in KPlato it should be default with manually
scheduling.

> Disclaimer : I'm not a project manager myself, though I have worked with PM
> software for a few years, so I might not know what the hell I am talking
> about :)

It is several years ago I last used project management tools in my work as
a project controller but I still train project managers using Microsoft
Projects as a freelancer even though I normally live a Microsoft free
life.
--
De herligste hilsner     _/
                      __/ | +           Jeg  vil  leve i en verden,  hvor