Ideas [was: Re: [KPhotoAlbum] Just a check for signs of life]

Johannes Zarl-Zierl johannes at zarl-zierl.at
Sat Oct 9 19:59:21 BST 2021

Hi Andreas,

Am Samstag, 9. Oktober 2021, 15:59:42 CEST schrieben Sie:
> However, I might have an idea/feature wish:
>
> Would it be possible to sort images / videos by file date (that what the
> file system shows) as an additional sorting option?
> Now, we sort by the KPA date, which might be entered manually, at least
> in some use cases. Like all old photos from before 1970 or so.

I fear that this would be hard to implement.
I think if your exif dates are incorrect but file date is correct, it would be
best to just set your exif date to the file date. But I may have misinterpreted
your use-case.

> I also find, that there is no option to view the basic file properties
> of an image (except for exif data) like file size, permissions, owner, date.
> Well, only if this can be implemented without too much re-engineering.

This should be relatively easy to do. If you write a feature request including
the properties that should be displayed that would be nice...

> If it helps (and if there is some hope for success), I could rephrase
> all this into the bug tracker.

Yes, please! ;-)

Even if the bug report / feature request won't get resolved right away, I do
look at bug reports when planning for a release. I usually won't scrape the
mailing list if something isn't on my mind already.

On that note:
I'm currently falling short of my intended level of involvement with KPA
because the work level at my day job surpassed my expectations this year. I
hope that this my get somewhat better towards the end of the year. For this
reason, I'm thinking the next release will not come before the new year.

> Jesper has recently implemented alternative video backends. I tried them
> and they work both, BUT...
> ... none of them offers any options for playback except for pause and
> resume. I miss the options to switch audio channels and to control the
> sound level. Therefore, I always invoke videos with RMB ... open with
> other program ... vlc.
> Would it be possible to have a setting, to open all videos with vlc (or
> another external program) by default. So, to use vlc as the viewer for
> video? Vlc also works nicely with a list of videos...

The whole feature is not fully refined yet - feedback is always good ;-)

@Jesper: I assume you have a more informed position on the video player than I
do...

Cheers,
  Johannes