[KPhotoAlbum] Very slow deletion after upgrade to Ubuntu 21.04

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sun May 9 23:56:42 BST 2021

On 5/9/21 6:41 PM, Constantin Orăsan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Since I updated my Ubuntu from 20.10 to 21.04 the process of deleting a photo from my collection
> became very slow. I have just timed deleting a photo from the annotation dialog and it takes about 6
> seconds. In general, it seems that KPA is less responsive.
>
> I have about 88k photos and videos in my collection. Since I updated my Ubuntu I added about 2000
> photos, but I doubt this is the reason why suddenly KPA is slower (I don't think I tried to use KPA
> between when I upgraded my computer and I added the photos).
>
> I use KPA 5.7.0. Libraries from the about dialogue are
>
>   * KDE Frameworks 5.80.0
>   * Qt 5.15.2 (built against 5.15.2)
>   * The xcb windowing system
>
> The files are stored on a local harddisk (it is actually a RAID1, but this should actually make it
> faster), like it was before.
>
> Do you have any suggestions why it is slower? I suppose it's due to one of the libraries that come
> with the new Ubuntu. Happy to start digging if you can give me an idea where to start from.

There have been a number of performance improvements since 5.7.0.  I had observed the same problem
(not specifically with deleting images) and observed that date/time handling had markedly slowed
down, affecting a lot of things (startup, thumbnail display, etc).  This was fixed about a month
after the 5.7.0 release.

Would you be able to try building KPA from source and trying that?