[KPhotoAlbum] Marble versioning

Johannes Zarl-Zierl johannes at zarl-zierl.at
Wed Jul 28 22:47:38 BST 2021

Am Mittwoch, 28. Juli 2021, 07:35:15 CEST schrieb Tobias Leupold:
> > Semantic versioning is clearly a better approach if done correctly. If not
> > done correctly (or at all), automatic YYYY.mm versioning is at least
> > reliable and allows us to write checks.
> > Hey, it's not worse than KDE frameworks ;-)
>
> But how do we reliably address the problem that the "major" version
> increases, also if no API changes have been done?

You mean from a build-system perspective or from the perspective of an API
user?

The build-system part will be solved with time (the next release of marble
should have the version compatibility set to "AnyNewerVersion"). Until then,
the cmake snippet posted before should be a suitable workaround:

find_package(Marble)
if((${Marble_VERSION} VERSION_LESS 0.28)
    # instead of bailing out with a message use a find_package call so that
messages are the same as normally, and so that feature_summary works
correctly:
    find_package(Marble 0.28 REQUIRED)
endif()

Once we can rely on the next release (say, 21.09), "find_package(Marble 21.09
REQUIRED)" will work for the future and also match 22.04 etc.

Cheers,
  Johannes