[KPhotoAlbum] Fwd: Re: Breaking changes in file layout

Johannes Zarl-Zierl johannes at zarl-zierl.at
Tue Apr 7 22:58:51 BST 2020

Am Dienstag, 7. April 2020, 21:27:40 CEST schrieben Sie:
> > 1. Keeping thumbnails on the image storage.
> > If we adopt the proposal as-is, you can still have this, with minor effort
> > on your side: You just have to move the cache directory to your shared
> > location and add a symlink.
> > Would that be an acceptable solution?
>
> This sounds quite feasible (for me). We would need some documentation
> around this so others with similar setups can follow up.

Good!

> > 2. thumbnail consistency
> > We could include the thumbnail size with the thumbnail database itself.
> > This would prevent any future inconsistencies from happening.
> > The required change in the thumbnail file format can be implemented
> > without a need to regenerate the thumbnail data.
> >
> > How does that sound?
>
> Yes, as far as I understand. Right now the size of the thumbnails is set
> in the settings dialog (where it belongs and which is quite an
> improvement in the UI to the former +/- buttons in the lower right hand
> corner!)  Then the view can be scaled down to fit more thumbnails on a page.
>
> Moving the size settings from a user setting (the kphotoalbumrc file) to
> the thumbnails folder seems like a good idea.

Actually I didn't mean for any user-visible difference here - the user can
still choose their preferred size of stored thumbnails.

The difference would be that there's no way to change the size of the stored
thumbnails without regenerating the thumbnail cache. If you change the size on
one machine, you don't have to sync the configuration between all machines
anymore because kphotoalbum would always read the size from the thumbnail
cache itself.

> In my setup it would mean that different people can fiddle with the
> settings - so this does not scale beyond a small group where we trust
> each other. OK for me.

Good.

> When I look at what is saved in the kphotoalbumrc file, I wonder that my
> setup has not yet crashed severely :-) KPA seems to be quite resilent.

:-)

> so long & bleib gesund, Andreas

...and the same to you!

  Johannes