[KPhotoAlbum] Breaking changes in file layout

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Mon Apr 6 14:57:03 BST 2020

On Mon, 06 Apr 2020 08:58:36 +0200, Tobias Leupold wrote:
> Hi all, I'll join the discussion as well ;-)
>
>> XDG_CACHE_DIR/kphotoalbum/<db>/.thumbnails/
>> XDG_CACHE_DIR/kphotoalbum/<db>/.videoThumbnails/
>
> Do you think the leading dot is needed (making the directory hidden)? We're
> already in "kphotoalbum/" one leven below, so why not "thumbnails/" and
> "videoThumbnails/"?

Agreed.

>> I get your point, but I'm not a big fan of constructs like "/home/
>> johannes/.cache/kphotoalbum/home/johannes/Pictures" either.
>
> I personally would prefer the hash. Maybe we could add a file like
> "collection" or such containing the path to index.xml for easier user-side
> identification. I wouldn't add the whole path. If so, please at least don't
> use pipe symbols to mask the slashes, that also have to be masked when using
> the directory name ...

I hate hashes when they aren't used to reduce the storage requirement
for something or are needed for cryptographic security (such as
passwords).  Hashing the contents of a file to quickly determine
whether two files are identical is one thing.  In this case, it makes
it hard to trace the origin without improving security (non-issue in
this case) or saving space.

There's no perfect solution to the fact that slashes can't be filename
components, but I don't think this really has to be absolutely
perfect.

> This one could actually be hidden by a leading dot imo, like
> "DBDIR/.CategoryImages/"

Or moved to XDG_CACHE_DIR/kphotoalbum/<db>/CategoryImages?

--Eric Crampton