[KPhotoAlbum] Speaking of performance...

Andreas Schleth schleth_es at web.de
Sun Jan 27 16:31:03 GMT 2019

Hi Robert,

300000 shots in one database is a lot of images...
Do you really sift through *all* of them every other day?

I attacked the sheer quantity of images by using three tiers:
1. raw development: only shots that are basically OK (and not
duplicates) get through, all the rest is discarded permanently (this
takes care of 1/3 to 1/2 of the shots).
2. KPA then only gets the jpegs in a parallel folder structure
(20xx/01_xx_topic). As I rarely go back to redevelop a raw image, some
searching in parallel folders is OK for me. This KPA is my personal DB.
If this DB gets too large for my tastes, I spawn a new one and keep the
old one as an archive.
3. The really OK shots get transferred to the family-DB once or twice a
year via the KPA export/import function. These are the images we really
keep and care for. (Somebody once wrote, you should leave no more than
100 pictures behind for your descendants ... :-) )

A better handling of parallel DBs (like syncing categories and tags
between them) could help. e.g.: split the DB into one (or more) common
tag/category-section(s) with multiple image sections that only get read
on demand. Each img-DB should then linked to a certain cat/tag-DB to
enable different sets of categories for different purposes.

So, there might be other venues to attack the question of startup time
than just doing things the same as before, but only faster. But You are
right: KPA momentarily has inherent limitations when the DB becomes too
large - this will hit each of us. Some earlier, some later.

Just my 2 cents ...
Last not least: I really appreciate Your recent work on startup time!

Best regards, Andreas