[KPhotoAlbum] Assigning tags to groups

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Wed Dec 18 00:33:41 GMT 2019

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 00:22:15 +0100, Johannes Zarl-Zierl wrote:
> Am Montag, 16. Dezember 2019, 14:18:59 CET schrieb Robert Krawitz:
>> > Apart from that I think that dragging and dropping a tag around actually
>> > _should_ be a move, not a copy! At least, I would expect a tag to be moved
>> > where I drag it and not be copied there, unless I hold CTRL or such.
>>
>> In Dolphin if I drag and drop without a modifier, I get a pop menu
>> asking me what I want to do.  There at least needs to be
>> discoverability.
>
> Modeling this after dolphin seems like a good idea to me. As a side
> note - creating a group from a tag is also non-intuitive to many
> people, I assume (just create a group with the name of the tag).

In the annotation dialog view, a group is implicitly created when you
move (or potentially copy) another node under it.  However, the
settings dialog only displays nodes that already have children, or
have just been created (if you click OK to exit that dialog, and you

> These two issues can be easily fixed. Apart from that I'm unsure on
> how to improve the UI for tag groups.

For one, I think that everything in the Settings dialog that refers to
to content should be moved to the Edit menu, since that's what you're
doing -- you're editing the database.  That would include Categories,
Birthdays, and Tag Groups.

Database backend is something that could also be database-specific.
At present we only support the XML backend, but if we ever do support
anything else, we wouldn't want this setting here.  The compressed
vs. expanded file format is something else that should be specific to
a database -- this should be at most a default.

--Eric Crampton