[KPhotoAlbum] Keywords with id=0?

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sun Dec 15 01:27:26 GMT 2019

On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 00:46:26 +0100, Johannes Zarl-Zierl wrote:
> Am Samstag, 14. Dezember 2019, 22:45:57 CET schrieb Robert Krawitz:
>> I'm seeing that somehow my index.xml has an item with id=0.  I'm not
>> quite sure how it happened; I know I was using the preferences dialog
>> to add a new member-group and then I created more member-groups under
>> that.
>
> I can see several categories with id="0" as well. Checking my
> index.xml backups it seems to be a long-standing issue: the first
> category with id=0 was introduced in my index.xml in May 2017. By
> itself, though that should not really be a problem (AFAICS id 0 is
> not handled specially compared to other index numbers).

I thought the indexes were supposed to start at 1, but OK.  Let me
know what it is, because I'm playing around with my kpa-merge script
and can fix these problems.  With an uncompressed file they're easy to
fix, as the index isn't used for anything.  With the compressed format
it can't be fixed if there are duplicates.

> What concerns me more though, is that categories with id=0 are
> duplicated. I see the first instance of a duplicate id in December
> 2017. It can't be triggered by routine operations, or I would expect
> to see far more duplicates.

I triggered it quite a bit the other night playing with the
member-group dialog in the KPA settings page (which isn't where it
belongs, as we've discussed, but that's a separate matter).

I don't see evidence of items losing their ID later; the problem seems
to be when they're newly created.  Renaming *might* be exacerbating
the problem.

> So, two questions arise:
>  - What is the cause for the bug?

I don't have a reproducible case yet, but it does appear to be related
to the process of adding new itmes in the preferences dialog (or at
least, it happens pretty often that way).

>  - How can we help users recover from this?

Well, my kpa-merge script can clean this up as much as possible.

--Eric Crampton