[KPhotoAlbum] Search performance

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Thu Oct 18 23:43:36 BST 2018

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 23:34:30 +0200, Tobias Leupold wrote:
>> But I still think that the index.xml format has good properties (resistant
>> against file corruption, easy/robust versioning, readable and writable "by
>> hand"). Also, many people use kphotoalbum on different machines in different
>> versions - with the XML format, you can easily pull that off as long as you
>> take some care.
>
> I must say that the XML database format was one reason for me to use
> KPA at all back then. I thought I'll spend a lot of time with
> tagging and a lot of energy will flow into this database. And if the
> KPA thing ends up sucking one day, I will still have that database
> that I can even read "by hand" with a normal text editor. And that's
> why I thought "no matter what happens, my data is safe and mine
> after all".

To be honest, I like it too.  I've been known to edit my index.xml by
hand.  But it does have performance implications for startup and save.
I do want to see what happens with abbreviating tag and attribute
names for those in the image path.  It may not make much difference,
but even 10% difference is something not to be ignored.

--Eric Crampton