[KPhotoAlbum] Search performance

Martin Hoeller martin at xss.co.at
Thu Oct 18 06:31:22 BST 2018

Hi!

On 17 Okt 2018, Robert Krawitz wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 21:45:07 +0200, Johannes Zarl-Zierl wrote:
> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > Am Mittwoch, 17. Oktober 2018, 03:05:35 CEST schrieb Robert Krawitz:
> >> After looking at the code and profiles, it's going to be hard to do a
> >> lot better unless we change the internal representation of category
> >> items.
> >
> > One idea that I was mildly interested in lately was to use an
> > in-memory sqlite database or something like that (while keeping the
> > index.xml as canonical on- disk format).
[...]
> I don't remember why we abandoned the SQLDB backend,

The reason seemed to be complexity. Read this email thread from 6 years
ago: https://mail.kdab.com/pipermail/kphotoalbum/2012-April/005024.html

> but if we want an
> SQL database, I think it would make more sense to store the data in
> one in the first place.

Well, I like the idea of an SQL backend... the question is: can we manage
this task. As far as I know we have 3 active committers (all with limited
time). So as already 3 attempts were made an failed, I doubt that another
attempty would succeed.

I really think the time would be investigated better in other parts of
KPA.

Anyways, if somebody feels like beeing brave enough for another try, go
for it.

Just my 2ยข,
- martin