[KPhotoAlbum] Rebuilding thumbnails is not an exercise for the faint of heart

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sat May 19 19:05:14 BST 2018

On Fri, 18 May 2018 22:53:04 +0200, Johannes Zarl-Zierl wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 13. Mai 2018, 16:30:06 CEST schrieb Robert Krawitz:
>> What I basically wanted to do was clean up my thumbnails (I had a lot
>> of bogus ones from some development work I was doing).  It's not
>> something I routinely need to do.
>
> One item on my todo-list is a utility program to interact with the thumbnail database. That should take care of your specific problem, and make life easier for users with higher automation/scripting needs. I envision something that can:
>
>  - compact the database by purging outdated/unreferenced thumbnails

Yep.

>  - generate thumbnails for a list of image files or a directory

What would this use case be?

>  - (maybe) import or export freedesktop.org-style thumbnails

That would be very useful for some people.

> That program is not a terribly big effort to write, but I'm currently barely able to keep up with answering my emails ;-)

One thing that might help, but it would absolutely need back
compatibility support (or a utility to do the conversion) would be to
store the pathname along with the JPEG in the thumbnail file, so it
would be possible to read the thumbnails even if the thumbnail index
file is corrupted.

--Eric Crampton