[KPhotoAlbum] Startup performance: the final frontier

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 31 03:22:11 BST 2017

The last big performance problem I have with kpa is startup.  It takes
about 18 seconds to start up, with the 220K photos in my database.

I intend to kcachegrind this one of these days.  It's a somewhat
painful experience, given how long it takes to start that way.  At
least from the splash screen, it looks like maybe 80% of the time is
spent in loading the database, the remainder in creating the main
window (whatever that really means).

Saving is also problematic, and autosave is very annoying, but not as
bad as startup.

I know there was a move afoot a while back to have an SQL database
rather than an XML file (and XML's pretty unwieldly for this), but
IIRC nobody ever got it working and eventually it was pulled out.

--Eric Crampton