[KPhotoAlbum] KIM File format compatibility

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sun May 21 15:38:50 BST 2017

On Sun, 21 May 2017 10:21:24 +0200 (CEST), Harald Barth wrote:
>> - Change the file extension (what about .kpx?)
>
> I'd recommend against that. There are already enough extensions in the world.

This is going to be changed to a versioned file format.  I'd say take
the hit on the rename now, and then we don't have to do it again.

>> - Add versioning to the file format, like we do have with the index.xml
>
> Yes, very important and in that way you solve the "old" problem as
> well: If it does not contain a version number, it's "old".
>
> For example by adding a ".kim-version" file.

I'd rather embed the format in the index.xml file, so that if you're
doing an export without adding the images (and recall that the default
is not to embed the images in the .zip file), the version info is
still present.

--Eric Crampton