[KPhotoAlbum] Eliminating unneessary information in index.xml

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 6 01:52:31 BST 2017

On Mon, 05 Jun 2017 22:10:20 +0200, Johannes Zarl-Zierl wrote:
> On Sonntag, 4. Juni 2017 21:15:13 CEST Robert Krawitz wrote:
>> Obviously, if there's no setting to control this, it will break
>> forward compatibility (i. e. an older kpa won't be able to correctly
>> read a newer index.xml).  But we're at the point now where it's going
>> to be hard to get really big improvements.
>
> I'm going to postpone this patch for a little bit. In case any other
> changes to the index.xml format pop up in the meantime, we can
> bundle them into a single version bump...

That makes sense.

Perhaps we can think about how to eliminate the angle and dimensions,
at least for images with EXIF data, where those could be populated on
the fly if/when needed (or in most cases, probably just done as a DB
query).  Those shrink my (compressed format) index.xml from 41 MB to
35 MB (from the original 53 MB).  I haven't measured the impact on
startup time; I'd SWAG that it will be around 5%.

--Eric Crampton