[KPhotoAlbum] Building Thumbnails is partially broken

Andreas Schleth schleth_es at web.de
Thu Jan 19 21:10:40 GMT 2017

Hi (Tobias, I think),

with the most recent build (*-20-*) I encounter some instabilities with
building thumbnails:

It all started, when 5 new images would not show thumbnails in the
viewer - no idea how to persuade KPA to display something. Permissions
on the images are OK and tagging (with preview) is OK.

OK, I have some spare time and hit: "Maintenance - build thumbnails" ...

When you touch absolutely nothing in KPA while it is building (20000
images ...) the files accumulate in .thumbnails and the rebuild process
seems to succeed (it is on its 4th try and not finished yet while I
write this).

If you try to do any navigation in KPA, at first it is not responsive at
all - seems to be frozen.  Then, after a while, it seems to work again
(displays - finally - a working status bar). However, when selecting a
random year (where thumbnails have not yet been built) KPA dies after
the thumbnail view has produced the first (very) few thumbs.  The
thumb-x files have stopped growing and KPA is catatonic.

So, the current process to (re-)build the thumbs seems to be a bit too
fragile for general consumption.

Cheers, Andreas