[KPhotoAlbum] Some thoughts for KPA 5.2

Andreas Schleth schleth_es at web.de
Tue Dec 27 19:41:05 GMT 2016

On 27.12.2016 20:22, Robert Krawitz wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 20:01:44 +0100, Andreas Schleth wrote:
>> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>> --===============5927052655967316771==
>>
>> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>> --------------8A283F2038126D804A744B2F

>>> This reminds me of another annoyance with the annotation dialog.  The
>>> three widgets at the top left are the three that are least useful (and
>>> possibly most dangerous): label, date, and Use Fuzzy Date.
>>>
>>> I have a few times inadvertently changed the name of many files
>>> because I accidentally started typing something I intended as a
>>> keyword into the label box.  I don't even want to think about what
>>> setting the date implies.  And I don't know what Use Fuzzy Date even
>>> means in this context.
>>>
>>> These look like artifacts of the very similar search dialog, but
>>> search and annotate are not the same thing.
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> you might just redesign your window layout and simply put away this offending window either totally (hit the x) or to an less dangerous position (grab the local title bar and move the widget around - it will become either a floating window or dock somewhere).  Options -> configure ... -> save current layout saves this for future tagging sessions.
> Well, the rating (stars) widget is in the same pane as the label and
> date widgets.  And that one is certainly valuable (albeit I'd think
> you'd more likely use it with annotating single images).
>
> I understand that there are good reasons in some cases to set the
> dates, although probably fewer than 10-15 years ago now that most
> people are taking photos with a device that embeds the date in the
> EXIF data and most image editing apps propagate the EXIF data.  15
> years ago, this wasn't necessarily the case; a lot of people were
> using scanners that even if they embedded EXIF data were embedding the
> date that the image was scanned, not originally created.
>
> But setting the label is another matter.  That should be a unique or
> close to unique (img_xxxx.jpg -- you're not going to have too many of
> them).  I'm very hard pressed to see _any_ use case for that, at least
> for multiple annotation.  If you want to do that, I'd think you almost
> certainly want to set a keyword.
>
> *Maybe* you would want to do that when annotating a single image.  But
> kpa already knows that it's a different situation; there's only one
> image being annotated, so it has a single label.
>
>> Setting the date is just another label in the database. Remember, KPA does not touch your images.  Except if you order it to do so via one of the KIPI plugins.  KPA fills the date from exif data on loading new images.  If the image does not contain any exif-info, the file date is used.  This might not be appropriate, so you may set it to another date.
>>
>> There is was?!? a KIPI plugin that allows you to transfer the KPA-date to the image (exif) and vice versa.

Hi Robert,

I see - setting the date on *multiple* images seems to be a strange
action and even for single images that is not often necessary - as you
say: this is in the exif data (if they are correct).  However, after
scanning a set of really old pictures, I used this feature to set an
approximate date for the whole set (like 1.1.1928 - 31.12.1928), to bin
these images into the right year at least.

I regularly set a common label for a group of images - typically the
"event" name.  This obscures the file name to some extent, but I rarely
need that directly.  So, for me there is quite a bit of usefulness in
this feature.

I do not use the stars.  When I started with KPA there were no stars, so
I set up my own category for quality and use that instead.

Andreas