[KPhotoAlbum] Some thoughts for KPA 5.2

Andreas Schleth schleth_es at web.de
Tue Dec 27 19:01:44 GMT 2016

On 27.12.2016 16:00, Robert Krawitz wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 14:36:29 +0100, Andreas Schleth wrote:
>> a) Annotation dialog:
>> This is one of the best and central features of KPA.  I tried a quite few other photo tagging tools and always came back to KPA. Therefore I think, this central feature should be as polished as it can get:
>>    - It should always start up either in full screen or at most in screen size.  Right now it always starts up in a size larger than my screen.
>>    - Saving a layout should also save the (relative) sizes of all widgets including the preview image
>>    - window layout should get a dedicated button at the lower left edge to ease accessibility
>>    - In the latest version, sorting the tags by time seems to be a bit off - could this have a connection with saving the index file in a different way now?
>>    - @Martin Füssel: as you are looking at the map interface: how about some method of mapping the places tag to a map feature?  Or a point and click map interface to create a new geo location?  I have a lot of old scans from slides ...
> This reminds me of another annoyance with the annotation dialog.  The
> three widgets at the top left are the three that are least useful (and
> possibly most dangerous): label, date, and Use Fuzzy Date.
>
> I have a few times inadvertently changed the name of many files
> because I accidentally started typing something I intended as a
> keyword into the label box.  I don't even want to think about what
> setting the date implies.  And I don't know what Use Fuzzy Date even
> means in this context.
>
> These look like artifacts of the very similar search dialog, but
> search and annotate are not the same thing.

Hi Robert,

you might just redesign your window layout and simply put away this
offending window either totally (hit the x) or to an less dangerous
position (grab the local title bar and move the widget around - it will
become either a floating window or dock somewhere).  Options ->
configure ... -> save current layout saves this for future tagging sessions.

Setting the date is just another label in the database. Remember, KPA
does not touch your images.  Except if you order it to do so via one of
the KIPI plugins.  KPA fills the date from exif data on loading new
images.  If the image does not contain any exif-info, the file date is
used.  This might not be appropriate, so you may set it to another date.

There is was?!? a KIPI plugin that allows you to transfer the KPA-date
to the image (exif) and vice versa.

Andreas