[KPhotoAlbum] Building 4.6.2 for Debian Jessie

Johannes Zarl-Zierl johannes at zarl-zierl.at
Wed Sep 30 22:53:14 BST 2015

Hi Matthias,

Sorry for the long delay - I meant to get back to you sooner.

In case you still need help, here's what works on a VM I installed with
wheezy. Just in case you didn't see it yet, I'll mention the official howto
for building KPhotoAlbum[1].

Unfortunately, this tutorial hasn't been updated for KPA 4.6, yet. I.e. there
is no mention of libkgeomap.

So here's what I do to build and install libkgeomap:

INSTALL_PREFIX=$(kde4-config --localprefix)

This is usually the directory ~/.kde and works fine as installation path for
kde-based programs. There's one catch, though: if you install kphotoalbum
here, "make install" will overwrite your kphotoalbumui.rc[2] and (more
importantly) your kphotoalbumrc file.

I'm not sure whether it is possible to install a KDE program outside the KDE
(local) prefix, but I've always had problems installing to some other
directory (at least KDE won't find some resource files like the KPhotoAlbum
handbook or the .desktop files).

Step one: install kgeomap

git clone git://anongit.kde.org/libkgeomap.git
cd libkgeomap
mkdir build && cd build
cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$INSTALL_PREFIX
make && make install

If you encounter any problem in this step or any other, please post the error
here so we can find a solution.

Step two: install libkface (if you want this,too)

I just noticed that the version of libopencv in wheezy is too old for libkface
from git master. I'll upgrade my VM to jessie and post this step once I've
verified it.

Step three: install kphotoalbum.
This should basically work as advertised in [1].

git clone git://anongit.kde.org/kphotoalbum.git
cd kphotoalbum
mkdir build && cd build
cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$INSTALL_PREFIX

kgeomap should be found automatically if it is installed in either the KDE
prefix or the KDE local prefix directory.

make
# make sure to preserve your kphotoalbumrc file:
../script/kpa-backup.sh --backup
make install
../script/kpa-backup.sh --restore

If you have added $INSTALL_PREFIX/bin to your PATH, you should be able to
start kphotoalbum on the commandline. If it doesn't turn up in your start
menu, you should check where kphotoalbum installs the .desktop file against
the output of `kde4-config --path xdgdata-apps`.

I hope this is helpful to you...
  Johannes

[1] https://userbase.kde.org/Building_KPhotoAlbum

[2] kphotoalbumui.rc contains the menu structure, including toolbars. If you
changed e.g. the toolbars of kphotoalbum, you might not want this file to be
overwritten. kphotoalbumrc is your KPhotoAlbum config file. You certainly
don't want this file to be overwritten.