[KPhotoAlbum] Thumbnails missing with latest git

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jan 15 13:01:56 GMT 2015

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 12:05:27 +0100, Tobias Leupold wrote:
>> What is the purpose behind the incremental thumbnails?
>
> I can at least answer this one: If the thumbnail size is changed, the default KPA behavior was that _all_ thumbnails were recalculated, which is painfully slow if the collection is on NFS. KPA even was e. g. unresponsive for about 15 minutes for "only" 8000 photos in my case.
>
> With the "on-demand" thumbnails, they are built as they are requested (viewed). So the lag distributes to many small operations instead of one big. This way, KPA keeps being responsive with only small lags, which is surely a more desirable behavior. For local collections the lag should be that short that the user won't really notice the thumbnail building. So in this case it doesn't hurt, and for NFS users, it's far better.

On the other hand, this likely means it will be slower if I read in
several thousand new photos and want to quickly scroll through the new
thumbnails.  Is that correct?  Normally I load the images and wait for
the thumbnails to build.

***  MIT Engineers Football -- Historic 10-1 2014 NEFC Champions  ***
MIT VI-3 1987 - Congrats MIT Engineers 6 straight men's hoops tourney

--Eric Crampton