[KPhotoAlbum] Bug 338702 and general settings dialog behavior

Tobias Leupold tobias.leupold at web.de
Mon Sep 1 20:07:22 BST 2014

Hi list :-)

Yesterday, I found a bug and filed it as Bug #338702. I just uploaded my
proposed patch for that to the new branch bug_338702. Would anybody be so kind
to check if everything is okay with it? I still don't dare to "just" push
changes to master ;-)

Apart from that, I found some other behavior in the category settings dialog
of which I think we should change it (would be no problem for me I think, I
just want to know if I'm right, so that I don't code in vain):

At the moment, it's possible to create a new category with no name by simply
pressing the "New" button and saving the database. Even multiple categories
without a name can be created this way. Further, if we have the standard
"People" category (which is e. g. displayed as "Personen" with a German
locale), one can create a new category with the name "People". Both will be
displayed as "Personen".

I don't think we want to allow all that.

What about leaving everything as-is, but adding some checks if the category
name LineEdit is about to lose it's focus? Like "Please enter a category name"
if it's empty (after stripping out stray whitespace, I think we should always
do that) and something like "You entered the name 'People', which is the un-
localized name for the standard category 'Personen'. This category already
exists, please choose another name".

If something is wrong, the cursor simply stays inside the LineEdit, until a
usable category name is given.

What do you think?

Tobias